Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Bottled Lightning

When you homebrew a new beer, choosing an appropriate name for it is sometimes tough. Not so with the last batch; we named it Mad Hatter. Why? Because I broke a thermometer during the brewing process and we're pretty sure none of the mercury got into the beer, but in the event that it did whoever drinks it may go as crazy as the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland (whose 'mad' condition was the result of mercury poisoning). I looked online to assess the relative danger of ingesting mercury and found a lot of hysterics (maybe for good reason), and I also found a $30 kit you can use at home to test for mercury content. Did I buy it? No, it was $30. I don't even own a carbon monoxide detector and those things are way cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment